Pre-foundation Phase enrols from 18 months to 5 years. There are Grades, thus Grade 00 (Toddlers), Grade 0 and Grade R.
Grade 00 (Toddlers)
– The toddlers have a feeding programme where they are served healthy food that nourishes the body.
– Their playtime focuses on enhancing their motor skill development. They have special games related to motor skill development.
– Learning at this stage is mainly through discovery.
– They go to the garden from time to time as part of their learning.
– They have a special play area, Small Ville Village.
– They have a daily walk around the school so as to exercise.
– The teachers use a hands on interactive method and there is also child to child interaction.
– They have a sleeping area with coat beds.
– They have a crawling area that has one section that is carpeted.
– They undergo pot training.
– There is also a nappy change corner
– We also have a kitchenette, eating area and a dining area.
– They have a sick bay where they recover peacefully in case they fall sick at school.
– The toilets are tailor made to suit their age.
– The Pre-school area is secluded from the main school. It has its own entrance and the security is tighter.
– It is a weaning stage.
– At this stage a child is trained to be independent.
– They bring their own food.
– At this level much focus is on training them Gross Motor Skills.
– Learners only do Life Skills only at this stage but it has elements of English and Maths.
– Learning at this stage is more structured and they do follow a strict timetable.
– At this stage learning is highly structured.
– Subjects are more defined as English, Maths and Life Skills are introduced.
– They follow a structured timetable and at this stage THRASS (Teaching Handwriting Reading and Spelling Skills) is introduced.
– Their development is monitored independently.
– The subject that they do at this level which is English, Maths, Life Skills, Religious Education and Handwriting mainly focus on Motor Skill development.
– They use a lot of imitation programmes and in our case we use THRASS.
– Teaching and learning incorporates audio visuals, puzzles and blocks.
– Learners are empowered to reflect independently and to solve disputes at their own level.
– Learning is more hands on and very inclusive.
– This stage is sealed off with a Graduation Ceremony.
Extra-Curricular Activities for Pre-Foundation Phase
– Cooking Class
– Art and Craft
– P.E (focusing on Balance, Gross and Fine Motor Skills, Speech Articulation)
– Sports Day
– Pyjama Days
– Easter Picnic